Monday, January 23, 2012

Day Seventeen - A Day of First Youth Events and Meetings

Today started out pretty basically.  Gamaliel and I went to a meeting that lasted a little longer than I was expecting.  But it was nice to be included in the metting.  I think that I actually understood about 50 to 60 percent of what was being talked about.  There were times when they would go off on a tangent or start talking very very fast or if there was more than one person talking I would get completely confused and just have to wait until the normal paced conversation started again haha.  But I felt very accomplished knowing that I knew what was being talked about the majority of the time!  I also learned a couple new words so that was very helpful!

After the meeting (which was from about 10 to almost 4:30) I had to rush home and then take a cab back to the church to get all of my things.  We were originally at the church for the meeting but I thought that we were going to be coming back to the apartment after lunchtime so I did not think to bring the things that I would need for the youth event.

This was really the first "cultural" surprise that I got.  I think this day was when I really realized that I was not in the United States anymore.  I was literally running at points trying to get to the church on time and I was being incredibly furstrated because things were not moving fast enough for me.  I finally got back to the church about 10 minutes after 5 which was ten minutes after we were supposed to start.  Luckily, I was only the second person there.  It will definitely be an adjustment remembering that things usually start between 15 and 20 minutes later than they are scheduled to start here haha.  But I feel like that will be a nice adjustment to be honest.

The youth evening was a GREAT success!  The kids seemed to really enjoy it and they were all very engaging.  It was nice being able to laugh at myself when I said something a little wrong in Spanish but the kids were all very forgiving with that haha.  I kept calling the "ball" a "bowl" while we were playing a game.  There were a couple of other small things but luckily nothing too embarrassing!  I am so excited to get this ball rolling and to now have plans every Saturday evening too lol!  Now I just need to come up with good ideas every week for things to talk about.  I think that will be the tough part haha.

I am also really excited abou the fact that I have two friends from CMU who are currently traveling in Central America and might be making their way to Colombia in the beginning of February.  It would be incredible crossing paths with them so I am going to cross my fingers and hope that something will work out!  It would be so great to see a familiar face!

I want to send a HUGE thank you too all of you who were covering me and the church in prayer on Saturday!  I really honestly felt the covering of prayer while we had our first youth event.  It went more smoothly than I could have asked for!

PS  I may be out of touch for the next little while.  I am currently living with a different family while Gamaliel and Amanda are taking some time away.  I will have internet access but not as easily accessible as at the apartment so my posts may be a bit more sparatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment