Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day One - A day of rest and first meetings

Today was a great day!

I got the chance to sleep in and just kind of vegged for the morning/early afternoon.  I got some reading done and was able to get one facebook and talk to a couple of friends, so it was really great!  I have started a book that a good friend of mine recommended to me a while back.  It is called Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue by Neale Donald Walsch.  It is definitely and interesting read and it also really challenges the way that you look at things and forces you to open yourself up to new views as well.

Then, Gamaliel took me with him while he ran some errands and I got to see a bit of the city which was awesome!  It has such a small town feel to it which I appreciate immensely.  But you can also tell that it is a big city.  There are about 2,000,000 people living in the metropolitan area that consists of 5 cities (I really hope that is right, otherwise I will feel a little foolish).  Barranquilla accounts for about 1,000,000 of those people.  Also, this city to me just seems like the perfect mix between Puerto Rico and Ecuador.  It has the tropical, coastal culture and feeling of Puerto Rico, but also the South American feel with the architecture and culture as well!  I just love it.  I think it is the best of both worlds.

Gamaliel and Amanda have been so patient and helpful with my Spanish speaking abilities!  Also, the fact that very few people speak very little English has really helped to jump start my Spanish.  But, the Fallas also know enough that when we get to a point where I get stuck they can help me out.  It was great to talk to them also about my job and what all that will look like so that I have a little clearer of an idea of what I will be doing!  I am quite excited to mention that I will be starting up some English classes in February and also having a meeting with some of the youth of the church in the near future to talk about what they are hoping for as well!

Tonight Gamaliel and I went to a family's house and met with them.  Edwin, the husband, is really wanting to start helping with the youth so that was incredibly encouraging.  He also has a son that will be about the age that I will be working with so that was exciting!  He agreed to show me around the city a little better this Saturday and also to teach me to play guitar when I bring mine in April.  This family was just incredible!  Meeting with them tonight took away all of the reservations that I had previously had about being here!  I am so glad that worked out!

These are some pictures of my new living quarters!

I found out today that what I thought was hanging on the wall was actually a hammock!  So I had to get it out and see what it was all about!  I couldn't be more excited about this!

I have a tv and internet and a nice desk as well!  I am really roughing it!


This is my section of the closest!  it has shelves and nice drawers for my crunchy peanut butter and peach penguins!  ... I guess for my other clothes too :P

No comments:

Post a Comment