Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day Fifteen - A Day of Zoos and Talks with Friends.

To be 100% honest this week has seemed very unproductive.

However, I suppose that you could say that that would only be a surface level thought.  I have had many opportunities to build relationships with people and see parts of the city that I wouldn't have thought to go to and to have a pretty good time doing it as well!

I can't believe that I have been here for over two weeks now.  A part of me feels like I have been here forever and another part feels like it has only been a day.

Today started out great, with a Skype date with two of my good friends from back home and I also talked for a bit with a lady who is going to be helping me to teach the English classes!  It made me even more excited about them.  I am very excited to get started with them in February.  I took a class in teaching English as a second language almost a year ago, so we will see how much I remember and how good I am at teaching.

Also, our first youth event is this coming Saturday from 5-6pm (or 4-5pm Central Time).  I am just beside myself with excitement and anticipation!  I have planned out a lesson that has been written in Spanish and will hopefully be delivered well :P.  I was talking with a friend from the church and she mentioned how important it will be that I speak only in Spanish for this one hour (with obvious grace periods for mess ups haha) because it will add to my approachability with the kids and also help us all to connect easier.  I am just hoping that God will grant me the grace to remember all the words!

Thought for the day - I have a love hate relationship with zoos.  I think it is incredible seeing animals that I would never have the chance to see in the wild!  I love them.  I also know that they do a lot of good with animals that have been injured/could not make it in the wild on their own.  However, it makes me sad seeing animals pacing in areas that are much smaller than their intended habitat...

I did have a very nice time at the zoo today with a friend from the church and their niece and friend's son.  Talking with little kids in another language is surprisingly helpful!  They were also ridiculously adorable.  I have missed being around little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment