Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 156 (Sunday, June 10th) - A day of first visitors!

After church today I invited some of the young people over to my apartment to eat some delicious food!  I was really excited because I am most certainly related to my mother because I have the hardest time cooking for just one person.  I always seem to cook way too much!  Luckily, that was not the case Sunday because I had 4 guests that I was able to cook for!  Woohoo!  It was a lot of fun :).  We made pancakes and hashbrowns.  I was so surprised that they had never tried hasbrowns and they thought that I was crazy when I described them to them.  Unfortunately I had the bright idea of grating the potatoes the night before... bad idea.  Our hashbrowns were a little discolored haha.  Oh well, they tasted the same!

When I was preparing the meal I decided to recruit some help from two of my guests and taught them how to make everything!  I had a blast!  I felt like I was back in the YouthWorks kitchen.  While working with YouthWorks we were each in charge of a meal through out the week and we had to teach the youth how to prepare everything and then how to cook it.  We weren't supposed to do it ourselves because it was a learning experience for the kids.  HAHA!  Oh that was one of my favorite times.  It was also one of the most stressful parts of my week, cooking while there were 40 - 50 hungry people out in the dining area waiting for the food!  So, I took charge with my two friends and showed them how to do everything and let them have fun with it.  Then, as they were doing that I was getting everything else ready.  They did a really good job because everything turned out really well!  They seemed to like the hashbrowns well enough.  I may have to make them again with properly colored potatoes so they know how they are supposed to look and taste haha.

It was so nice having visitors!!  I love hosting people.

The first question that I always get asked when people find out that I am living along in an apartment (or leading up to, when they found out that I would be living along in an apartment) was "Oh... that's nice... but who is going to cook for you?"  I always laugh and assure them that I love to cook and I personally think that I am rather good at it.  They never seem to believe me though.  Then next question is,  "well... who is going to clean for you?"  Haha!  Oh goodness.  Well, it is a small apartment so I think that I can handle that.   Also, it is VERY common here for someone to have a cleaning person come to their house and clean up.  Usually if you don't it is because you can't afford it and it seems like a bit of a status symbol I guess.  I think that is a great idea and I would love to have someone clean for me but... I am the type of person that I would clean before my cleaning person got there so that they didn't see what it looked like before.  Also, I have a lot of time on my hands and it is a small apartment so I am good with cleaning it myself for now.  But, I understand that it is a very rare thing in Colombia for a young man to live on his own though, so I guess I can understand that.  Colombia is very family oriented so usually you live with your parents until you are married and then you are set!

Many people were a little worried about me moving off on my own.  Everyone had an opinion on what I should be doing instead.  However, I am so happy here in my little apartment with a wonderful view.  I love being independent and feeling like I am not intruding in other people's homes.  I love having space and not feeling guilty if I go to bed super late or get up late, haha!  Oh goodness.  I appreciate being taken care of but I am such an independent person that being taken care of quickly feels like smothering and then I just get nervous, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment