Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 123 - Trip recaps and mosquito bites

This weekend was a very exciting one to say that least!  We went to a city/town about 5 hours away from Barranquilla, called Rioacha.  There is a Mennonite church there and, to the best of my knowledge, was one of the very first ones in Coastal Colombia!  When Gamaliel and Amanda started their term they worked at this church for a bit and then moved on to start their church planting in Barranquilla.  Because Gamaliel and Amanda have been such an integral part of this church they went to this church to say good bye before they left.  As of now they are planning on leaving to head to Armenia (in southern central Colombia, about 4 or 5 hours south west of Bogota) on May 21st.

It was so nice to be a part of this transitional time, both with Gamaliel and Amanda, but also with the church.  This was also a time for them to be officially introduced to their new Regional Coordinator for the the National Mennonite Assembly of Colombia, Mitzi.  Mitzi is also the new pastor at the northern church in Barranquilla (which is the church that I have been working in primarily).  We are SO happy to have Mitzi and her husband Jaime (Mitzi is the primary pastor in the team) as our pastoral team!  She was voted in completely unanimously.  I was really disappointed that I wasn't there for the vote, it was a public vote and from what I understood it was a very emotional experience.  I know that I would have been emotional at least!  Mitzi is an incredible woman and I know that if anyone can fill in Gamaliel and Amanda's VERY big shoes both in the community and the northern church, she and Jaime will be able to do that.

I am so disappointed with my lack of PICTURE TAKING!  I can't believe that I forgot to take more pictures while there!  I even took my camera... disappointing.  But, we went to the beach and found shells and there were also four baptisms in ocean and that was just an incredible experience to be a part of!

While in Rioacha I kind of had a mini revelation on to why I have turned into SUCH an introvert (which is really not normal for me) since coming here.  While trying to talk with some of the youth in the church I had to repeat myself several times because I wasn't understood and it was very... frustrating.  I have gotten to the point where I honestly understand about 75% of all conversations (unless they are about something COMPLETELY out of left field haha).  So that is nice.  But, for some reason I am just not understood when I speak.  I'm not sure if it is my accent or my grammar.  I have heard people with thicker US accents than I think I have speak here in Colombia though and they are understood fine so I am assuming my grammar must be atrocious.  This is a difficult realization because I kind of pride myself a bit on my English grammar... so that is a new feeling.  I have decided that I need to be MUCH more intentional about learning Spanish though... oh goodness.  This has been a long journey on that front.  Spanish grammar is so much different than English grammar.  But it really really is necessary.  Bring it on Spanish.  Bring it on!

The church in Rioacha has asked me to be in the process of thinking about spending long periods of time there with them.  They are thinking about maybe one to two week stretches every two months perhaps.  They also threw out a month at a time so... we will see how everything works out.  I will for sure be praying about that and seeking out guidance!  I would definitely like to do this but they are both big time commitments haha.

One thing that I am very excited about is that I will be meeting with our new pastor sometime next week to talk more about my role in the church and what exactly my job is here and where I can be better involved.  As of right now I really only "work" about two hours every week on Saturdays while helping with the youth.  Also, during the English lessons I suppose, but those have been sparsely attended recently haha.  It will be nice to go over everything again and kind of have a new beginning.  Since returning from home I have had a renewed sense of meaning and a much clearer head.  It will be wonderful having a more concrete idea of what all I will be able to do and how to help and keep myself occupied for this next leg of my journey.

In other transitional news, I will be moving into my new apartment VERY soon!  The exact date keeps changing but I believe I will be there by the end of next week.  I am beyond excited about this new transition!  I have always been a very independent person and it will be so nice to have that bigger sense of independence of living on my own and providing for myself!  Also, the view of being on the sixth floor isn't anything to complain about either :P.












No comments:

Post a Comment