Tuesday, June 25, 2013

535 (June 23rd) - Birthdays and 10Ks

There are still many things to update everyone on, but I thought that I would start with a birthday update!

My birthday, Sunday June 23rd, started bright and early at 4:20am.  Why on Earth would you torture yourself and wake up that early you ask?  That was my exact thought when my alarm clock went off only 5 short hours after I was able to get to sleep.  Especially since this is my exact response to mornings most days...


However, this was different circumstance.  I didn't have to work, I didn't have to do anything for anyone else... I was doing something for myself.  I set out to do something for me!

Bright and early Sunday morning, I ran a 10k.  I met up with my ex-pat friend Courtenay and we headed over to the local mall and we stretched and got in line and then took off!

Here we are waiting!

The crowd ahead of us
The crowd behind (excuse me being a creeper)

I did not finish quickly.  My time was about average, if not a little lower.  But I finished!  I was pleased with my time and I did it!  They even gave participation medals!  I'm going to treasure that puppy!


I don't have a mirror so I take selfies in the elevator

Then, after a shower and an all too short nap, I went to church.  Mitzi had a nice sermon and they sang to me and to another church member who had a birthday last week.

After church, I went with my good friend Wendy to her place, her mom invited me over lunch.  I always love going there, the only problem is that it is an hour by bus!  When you're tired being on a bus can be dangerous.  You run the risk of falling asleep and people taking your picture of you with your head bobbing...

When I got home, I was able to chat with some friends and then I made my way over to Gio and Courtenay's place.  I was told to be there at 7:30, but I wasn't sure what to expect...

They, and my good friend Michele, and her husband Alberto were all there and surprised me!  They had the apartment decorated in smiley face balloons and streamers!  What a wonderful surprise!!  I just loved it!

Courtenay prepared a DELICIOUS thai red curry... one of my all time favorite meals!  It was super spicy (something that is not common here and that I miss a lot! haha) and wonderful.

Check that presentation!



Then we had cake and we chatted until very late in the evening!

I even fell for the "just bite the corner of the cake, it's tradition" bit :P


I think one of the best moments though, was Courtenay, Michele, and me all getting the bejebus scared out of us right after one another.  We had been talking about ghosts and hauntings and scary things for some reason... then we didn't realize that someone was coming into the apartment.  Courtenay saw the door open first (she was facing the door) and got startled and jumped.  Then I (I had my right side to the door) saw her jump out of one corner of my eye, and the door open out of the other, so I gasped and nearly fell out of my chair.  Then, Michele, seeing us both, turned around (she had her back to the door) and she jumped and let out a scream.  It was just one right after the other, bam bam bam.  Hilarious.  Then we of course died laughing.  The person coming in the apartment was so confused...
Anyway, that's what I did on Sunday.  

It was so nice to be reminded of the incredible people that I'm surrounded by here.  I've met some incredible people that I'm going to miss so much when I leave in a few months!  All in all... I'd say it was one of my favorite birthdays!  Thanks to all those who were a part of it!

1 comment:

  1. Lies! I wasn't scared! I, uhhhh, well I just didn't want you and Courtenay to be embarrassed. Yeap, that's all it was!

    ReplyDelete