Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day 61 - A Day of Hostels and Lizards!

So... I took a little two day excursion to meet up with some friends from CMU.  It was AWESOME!  I haven't seen them in quite a long time, so it was incredible seeing them again.  One of them had his parents with him, they came down for a couple weeks and just met up with them in Colombia!  I think it is cool that they decided to do that.  It was also really interesting getting to know them.

We stayed in this wonderful hostel in Santa Marta (which is a little over an hour from Barranquilla).  We just hung out and chatted and caught up and had an incredible time.  They have been traveling for almost 5 months now, so it was great hearing about their journey and where it has brought them so far.

It was nice to get some time away and gain a little perspective and to feel like a tourist rather than living somewhere, haha!

We met some new friends, two girls from Australia who came from Panama to Colombia in the same boat with my friends.  So it was cool that they got to meet up with them again.  They were great girls and it was exciting getting to know some new people while also catching up with old friends.  I will also be thinking in an Australian accent for the next week now.  So that is exciting.

I also enjoyed the idea of hostels but I actually really love them!  First of all, my stay was 18,000 pesos a night (which is around $9 US), awesome.  But there is a real sense of community to hostels that I just really enjoy.  There were people from... I would say at least 10 countries in this small hostel.  It could probably host about... 30 people and I think there were about 25 maybe.  It is also interesting that the "travel language" seems to be English.  I was talking to someone from Sweden, who is traveling in Central/South America and she doesn't speak a word of Spanish, but because she speaks (perfect) English she is able to travel here with ease.  At one point I observed a table with four guys playing poker.  One from Russia, Germany, Argentine, and England.  They were playing a game speaking in English.  Only one of them had English as a first language.  I just found that fascinating!

It just made me really excited to travel.  I also learned about some really cool traveling opportunities that are actually really close to where I am.  I think that during my vacation time I will have to check some of those out!  I would definitely like to return to this hostel at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment