Wednesday, August 28, 2013

601 - Youth Venture Part 3 - BEING in Colombia

This final part in the Youth Venture trilogy of posts is one that I've been thinking about a lot over the course of my, now, 601 days in Colombia.

The truth is that I don't "do" as much as I would like to in Barranquilla.  There have been many days and nights where I just sit and think about the numerous missionaries around the world that are building houses, feeding hungry people, and telling people about Jesus in new and exotic places all over the globe.  I also think of many secular ex-pats that are working in different NGOs all over the world "doing" so much more than I feel that I am "doing" in Barranquilla.

I recently read an article about voluntourism by Oline Castel on the Condé Nast travel blog website, that talked quite a lot about some of my sentiments.

Prior to the Youth Venture team arriving in Barranquilla, I sat down at my dinning room table with my good friend Wendy with my head in my hands and I said "what are we going to do when this group gets here?"  I was worried because there wasn't much work to be "done" necessarily.  Unfortunately, there aren't projects, or programs, that we are doing in Barranquilla.  Unfortunately, our attendances at the churches are small, but those who come are passionate and wonderful.  We hope to grow in the future and have nourishment programs, and many other things, but at the moment, that just isn't working out.

So... the Youth Venture team got to do what I do with the majority of my time in Colombia.  We spent time with the church members.  We compatir-ed (5 cool points if you remember what that means!) together, we played games, we laughed, we shared life stories, and we got to know each other.

When I first arrived in Barranquilla, I shared my concerns with Gamaliel and Amanda that I wasn't "doing" much here and that made me sad.  They informed me that this idea of "doing" while in a new country, or doing ministry, was a very North American view, and in South America, I should realize that many of the people in the community would much rather BE with me, than have me DO for them.

I saw how big the girls' hearts were when once they shared with me that they didn't feel right that they were being so blessed by the people in our church community, but we hadn't done anything to bless them while we were there.  However, I fully believe that we were mutually blessed in this Youth Venture trip!  I know quite a few little kids who had the time of their lives playing games like tag and cops and robbers with the group.  They loved caballitos (piggy-back rides) and being spun around and the fact that the group took time to play with them and BE with them.  There were moms and daughters who had their hair french, and fishtail braided for the first time, and loved it!  Even now, after almost a month, I still get asked by the people in the church how the girls who visited are, and they tell me that they miss them.

I have to admit that I don't think there is anything wrong with short-term work mission trips, millions of people have been blessed through them!  I think that they can be truly wonderful!  Some of my favorite memories from my working with my church's youth group during the summer was going on a service trip to New Orleans with Mennonite Disaster Service and working on houses.  It was an incredible time and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!  We were able to bless the people that we worked with with free labor and progression on these houses.  Aside from one day where we went out and visited a man who had last his home and half of his family in the hurricane, because we were working so much we didn't get to truly immerse ourselves in the rich culture of New Orleans.  We didn't fully get to know the people we were building houses for.

Sure, we could have painted something, we could have built something, but instead we built relationships, we have lasting memories, we learned, and we all left changed.  By being with the church members we were able to change some stereotypes that various people held and learn from each other's mistakes and share in our triumphs and joys and cry with each other about our sorrows and pain.  For me personally, knowing that I will be leaving being meaningful relationships and people who (hopefully) will miss me as much as I will miss them, this means so much more to me than leaving behind a house that I built, or painted.  I may not have fed the masses, but I was able to feed the few who came to my apartment for lunch or dinner.  I was able to fill their stomachs with chocolaty brownie goodness.  We filled each others' hearts with joy and friendship (call the cheese police).  We filled the silence with laugher and stories, and it filled my life with a new found appreciation and passion for things like working with immigrants, speaking in and learning Spanish, and treating new people with as much respect as possible, even if I don't really understand some of the /strange/ cultural differences.  In fact, I love learning about those new and exciting little cultural differences!

These are just a few of the many things that I learned and experienced while being in Colombia and I hope that the Youth Venture team shares my sentiments as well!!  Not only were they blessed, they were a blessing for the community that they were in, and they will not be quickly forgotten!


Trip to the Zoo with Samuel, la pastora Mitzi's son

French braiding while at a church get-together


Karaoke-ing at a family's house 

Celebrating Carlos' birthday at a host-family's house

Visiting some of the youth's school!

1 comment:

  1. Scott, you've articulated some beautiful thoughts. I particularly liked what you have to say about putting people and BEING with people above DOING things that can be quickly forgotten. It's the personal encounters that change us. Although I have some questions/concerns about the way the church has popularized short-term missions trips and the way they are so often done, I can't argue with you that, at the bottom of it, it's about loving people, and those experiences are definitely treasured and valuable to both groups. well said.

    ReplyDelete