Friday, October 12, 2012

280 - Seas of yellow

Today was a very important game in Colombian soccer!

Today, I learned that each region (South American being a region) only has a certain number of spots that are open for the World Cup.  So... it is really really tough to get one of those spots.  Also, since the World Cup is being held in Brazil, they get an automatic in!  Super lucky for the country that the game is being held in, not so lucky for every other country in the region who has one less spot that is open for them.

So, great news for Colombia is that they beat Paraguay 2 to 0!  Oh my goodness... let me just tell you all about what it is like when a goal is scored by the Colombian team.  First of all, even when the team that you are rooting for here gains control of the ball people are up on their feet and screaming and yelling and cheering and it is hilarious.  There were women, and possibly men, who were screaming and it sounded like they were being murdered.  I was a little afraid for a while.  So, you can just imagine what it is like when the team actually scores.  Up roar is the only word that I can think of to describe what it is like.  EVERYONE is up on their feet screaming and clapping and cheering for a good two or three minutes, if not more.  People are hugging and laughing and it is just a great site to see.

Today is actually the first day that I have ventured out of my apartment on a game day.  I have heard horror stories, so I usually just stay inside.  I went to a restaurant with some fellow ex-pats that I have recently met.  They are a great couple from Miami who are working and living in Barranquilla.  They have a 17 month old little boy and I love hanging out with them.  It has been a real blessing knowing them.  Anyway, as I was walking to meet up with them, I noticed that there were restaurants where I had NO idea there were restaurants before.  It was crazy.  They just popped up out of no where to accommodate for all of the people watching the game.  It was great.  There were people everywhere.  Also, the Colombian jersey is bright highlighter yellow and everyone is most certainly all decked out!  I think that I may have to purchase one very soon.

But yes, there are so many people out on the streets and in bars and restaurants that are all wearing yellow and it is almost overwhelming!  It is just a sea of yellow.

I also started running very recently.  That has been something that I have really enjoyed.  One of the ex-pats is a hard core runner and she let me tag along.  Hopefully she wasn't disappointed when she realized that I don't have much endurance!  I am hoping to change that though.  It has been really nice to have some activity to really look forward to.

So yes, sorry that I haven't been updating very frequently, I haven't been doing much that is blog-worthy.  The school where I volunteer has been on fall break for the last week, so my excitement of the week was when I FINALLY (after 2 months of calling and asking and asking my landlord) got my oven fixed!  Oh man, I was exciting!  I made cookies, and they were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment