Thursday, September 6, 2012

238 - QUE PENA!!! (and blue moons!) (I thought that this updated on Saturday - Whoopsies)

Que pena is a phrase in Spanish that I use quite often!  Literally translated it mean "what a shame!"  They use it to mean things like, "I'm SO sorry" or "Oh shoot!" (if you forgot something).  So me... being the forgetful person that I am, have forgotten to update my blog.  Que pena.  I am so sorry friends!  I have had a couple of people in my family tell me that I need to get my act together!  So, here goes nothing!  I am going to shoot for updating at least twice a week for September!  Hopefully exciting things will happen and I will want to update you all more often but we shall see!

Where to even start?!

Firstly, can I just say that I can not believe that August is already over!  When did that even happen?!  I suppose it happened tonight...

Where last we left off, I had just recently gotten back from Riohacha and I had taken my short little trek to Santa Marta and Taganga.  Then, I was getting settled back into the swing of things.

Since getting back I have been getting more and more involved with the school where I have been volunteering!  I absolutely love it there.  I still feel like a rock star because the kids get super excited, so that is always an added bonus to my weeks!  It is definitely a self esteem booster.  I help out in 8 classrooms for about 30-45 minutes at a time, over three days.  It is SO nice having something in my week that is definite and set in my schedule.  It also fulfills my need to "do" something.  I love reading books, I love teaching/singing songs.  It is just great.

I have really gotten to know some of the teachers that are there and that is wonderful!  I keep bumping into more and more people who speak English here!  Who knew there were so many?!

Very recently a friends' church was having a sale/festival to raise money for their church.  They had hot dogs and other food, they were also having a book sale!  Oh and I love book sales!  So, I got some really really cheap books so that was awesome.  I am looking forward to reading them and improving on my Spanish.  I bought one Goosebumps (or should I say Escalofríos) book.  I used to really enjoy those when I was younger.

I have also recently been able to meet up with some fellow ex-pats (ex-patriots, or people who are not living in their country of birth) and it was great!  We found each other on an ex-pat website and is used for networking and research for ex-pats, and it was really great timing.  I have really been craving some North American contact and now I know of a couple people who are also living in Barranquilla!  So great.  I also found out from this website that there are hardly ANY ex-pats that are now, or were living in Barranquilla.  From what it seems like, most people go to Bogota or Cali and steer clear of Barranquilla.  That is too bad because this is a great city!

I could say more but I am going to have to make sure that I have other things to say for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment